Solihull News to be axed

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 09.51.52.png

A continued decline in local print advertising is one of the factors blamed for the closure of the Solihull News – with its final edition being published on 21 December.

According to ABC figures published earlier this year, the weekly, which began 88 years ago as the Warwickshire News, had a free distribution of 44,786.

From 2 January, it will be replaced with a new Solihull edition of the daily Birmingham Mail which will feature up to four pages of news from the borough from Monday to Saturday.

Reach  has confimed that no jobs are to be lost as a result of the News’s closure. Its Midlands editor-in-chief Marc Reeves said: “Clearly closing the Solihull News isn’t a decision we’ve taken lightly, but with such a strong stable of print and online titles that are already immensely popular across the borough, we know we can continue to serve readers and advertisers with the best local news and exciting new ways to reach customers.”

In a statement announcing the closure of the Solihull News, the company called into question the future of the free door-to-door distribution model.“A continued decline in local print advertising, particularly in the key property platform, means that the free distribution door-to-door model is no longer sustainable,” it said.

The new Solihull Mail will feature up to four pages of borough news, views, features and sport each day, in addition to extensive online coverage on BirminghamLive and community news platform InYourArea. According to Reach, BirminghamLive and its sister online titles have a monthly audience in Solihull of more than 194,000 – more than three times the circulation of the News.